Monday, August 30, 2010

True Understanding

The ways of the guru are often a mystery. Once a guru gave his disciple a bird and told him, Kill the bird, but make sure that no one sees you killing it.

Ordinarily, one may wonder why a guru would want an innocent bird to be killed. Even if one follows the order, one might not be comfortable with taking a life. However, sometimes the guru gives assignments to the disciples to test how much of the teaching they were able to understand. No doubt a student who does not question the integrity of the teacher succeeds in following the orders of the teacher.

This particular disciple decided to follow the orders of the guru and left with the bird in his hands. After some time had passed, he came back holding the little bird, which was still alive. The guru asked him what happened.

My master, you asked me to kill the bird when no one else was looking, the dutiful disciple replied. But just as I was about to kill, I saw the little bird was looking at me. So I quickly covered his eyes. Next I realized that I was looking at the bird. So I covered my eyes also. Then I remembered that I still could not do it, because the all pervading Lord, whose eyes were everywhere, was watching me. Therefore I could not carry out your orders and I am humbly returning the bird to you.

The guru was quite pleased with how well the disciple understood the teaching and said, Your education is complete. Now you can go.

REFLECTION

The knowledge of Gods omnipresence allows us to pass through life's trials and tests with ease. In every moment, feel that God  and masters are looking at you. If one is firm in this knowledge, one will be free from all negatives. For example, a child will not do anything wrong when he knows that his mother is watching him. Similarly, how can we do wrong when God is constantly looking at us?

Source: "Pebbles from the pond - Timeless Wisdom Tales" by Paramahamsa Prajnanananda

"Pebbles from the pond" is a very good book for kids. It is written in a very simple language with conclusion or reflection from spiritual standpoint.

 

No comments:

Featured Post

Introduction of Madhusūdana Sarasvatī’s Gūḍārtha Dīpikā, a unique commentary on Bhagavad Gītā

Update: 01/08/2016. Verses 8 a nd 9 are corrected. 'Thou' is correctly translated to 'tvam' and 't hat...