Question: What is the difference between Bhakti (devotion) and Sharanagati (taking refuge in God) ?
Swamiji: Devotion is pervasive (vyaapak) and Sharanagati (refuge) is included within it. Where there is description of the Nine forms of devotion, in that refuge - (aatmanivedan, sharanagati) - has been shown as one of the forms; just like -
"shravanam, keertanam, vishnosmaranam paadasevanam
archanam vandanam daasyam sakhymaatmanivedanam." (Srimad. Bhag. 7:5:23)
1) Hearing of the Lord's praises and stories,
2) Kirtana - chanting his name, praises and story,
3) Smaranam - fixing one's thought on Him
4) Paadasevanam - Adoring His feet
5) Archanam - worshipping an image of the Lord
6) Vandanam - making obeisance to Him
7) Daasya - offering devout service to the Lord
8) Sakhyam - cultivation friendship with Him
9) Aatmanivedanam - Offering one's self to the Lord.
by Swami Ramsukhdasji