Saturday, August 8, 2009

Selfishness v/s. selflessness – SWAMI RAMA

One day I, still in my teens, was quite hungry and was about to start eating when my master said, “an old swami has come. He’s hungry and you must give him your food.” I denied. He said, “You won’t die. Give it to him. But don’t give it just because I am ordering you. Give it as an offering of love.” The swami came in. My master said, “I am so glad you have come. Will you bless this child for me?” But I said, “I don’t need your blessings. I need food. I am hungry.”

My master said, “If you loose control in this weak moment you will lose the battle of life.” I helped him wash hid feet and gave my food. Later I found that he had not eaten for four days.

He took the food and said, “God bless you! You will never feel hunger unless food comes to you. This is my blessings to you.”

There is a narrow barrier between Selfishness and selflessness, love and hatred. After crossing it one enjoys doing things for others, without seeking anything in return. This is highest of all joys, and an essential step in the path of enlightenment. A selfish man can never imagine this state of realization, for he remains within the limited boundaries built by his ego. A selfless man trains his ego and uses it for higher purposes. Selflessness is the common characteristic that we find among all great men and women of the world. Nothing would be achieved without selfless service. All the rituals and knowledge of the scriptures are in vain if actions are performed without selflessness.

Source: Living with the Himalayan Masters – Swami Rama

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This entire book is so good and the stories are inspiring in their altruistic morality of being selfless and non-violent, and yet Swami Rama himself fled the U.S.A. due to being indicted for using his position for sexual coercion and abuse. The Himalayan Institute also was sued and lost. It's really left such a confusion and I think anyone who attempts any justification is lost, just as I am over the whole thing.

Indiaspirituality Blog said...

Namaste,

It may be the case. I too have heard of allegations. Swami Rama had an excellent guru.
He had a spiritual base and very good spiritual experiences.
However, if one is not carful and overconfident of his sadhana (meditation) and his spiritual achievements, then such a person can fall.
Higher the one has climbed, greater the fall is and it is difficult to stand up again and restart sadhana.
Quite unfortunate.

Featured Post

Introduction of Madhusūdana Sarasvatī’s Gūḍārtha Dīpikā, a unique commentary on Bhagavad Gītā

Update: 01/08/2016. Verses 8 a nd 9 are corrected. 'Thou' is correctly translated to 'tvam' and 't hat...