Thursday, June 19, 2008

Sri Nisargadattaji Maharaj

When I met my Guru, he told me: "You are not what you take yourself 
to be. Find out what you are. Watch the sense 'I am', find your real 
Self." I obeyed him, because I trusted him. I did as he told me. All 
my spare time I would spend looking at myself in silence. And what a 
difference it made, and how soon! 

My teacher told me to hold on to the sense 'I am' tenaciously and not 
to swerve from it even for a moment. I did my best to follow his 
advice and in a comparatively short time I realized within myself the 
truth of his teaching. All I did was to remember his teaching, his 
face, his words constantly. This brought an end to the mind; in the 
stillness of the mind I saw myself as I am -- unbound. 

I simply followed (my teacher's) instruction which was to focus the 
mind on pure being 'I am', and stay in it. I used to sit for hours 
together, with nothing but the 'I am' in my mind and soon peace and 
joy and a deep all-embracing love became my normal state. In it all 
disappeared -- myself, my Guru, the life I lived, the world around 
me. Only peace remained and unfathomable silence.

Sri Nisargadattaji Maharaj

Source: http://www.nisargadatta.net/

No comments:

Featured Post

Introduction of Madhusūdana Sarasvatī’s Gūḍārtha Dīpikā, a unique commentary on Bhagavad Gītā

Update: 01/08/2016. Verses 8 a nd 9 are corrected. 'Thou' is correctly translated to 'tvam' and 't hat...